An experienced Oceanographic/Hydrographic Surveyor is required to lead ABPmer’s survey team. Duties will include carrying out oceanographic/metocean surveys, topographic & bathymetric surveys and ecological sampling & analysis.
- Undertaking nearshore oceanographic/metocean surveys (water levels, currents and waves)
- Bathymetric surveys
- Coastal topographic surveys (including beaches, saltmarsh and mudflats)
- Sediment sampling (hand sampled and boat grabs)
- Laboratory analysis of samples (e.g. particle size distribution)
- Preparing Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work and Tool-box Talks
- Preparing survey proposals
- Survey pricing
- Equipment setup and maintenance
- Processing and managing marine survey datasets
- Writing survey consultancy reports
Skills and Experience
- Experience of, and commitment to, industry-leading Health and Safety standards
- Oceanographic/metocean survey experience
- Good knowledge of topographic and bathymetric survey techniques
- Knowledge of benthic sampling techniques
- Boat handling capabilities (e.g. RYA Powerboat Level 2, VHF license, RYA First Aid at Sea, RYA Sea Survival)
- Planning of marine surveys and long-term monitoring programmes
- Survey management, including; proposal writing, pricing, survey planning/implementation, data analysis and consultancy report writing
- Specialist survey equipment setup and maintenance
- Good IT skills, including MS office suite and specialist survey software
- Candidates should be flexible and willing to work at locations across the UK
- Degree in a marine surveying related subject (hydrography, oceanography, geography, geophysics)
- Setup and data analysis of Nortek AWAC, Aquadopp and vessel-mounted ADCP equipment
- Wider marine consultancy experience e.g. GIS, geophysics
- Sediment sampling experience (cores and grabs)
- Sediment laboratory analysis e.g. PSD
With our wide portfolio, ABPmer offers incredible opportunities to learn and develop your skills; you will be working on industry-leading projects, with other technical specialists and using the latest technical tools. ABPmer has both personal and continuous professional development programmes as well as encouraging affiliation and chartership with professional bodies.
A competitive salary commensurate with experience is available. As part of the Associated British Ports group, you will benefit from a wealth of comprehensive benefits including personal pension and private medical insurance for you and your family. There are also numerous employee benefit schemes including employee assistance, childcare vouchers, Cycle2Work, employee discounts, and Give as You Earn.
How to apply
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please send your CV and covering email to Linda Boxall at firstname.lastname@example.org by the 16 March 2018. The subject heading of the email should state your name and position you are applying for. If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.