ABPmer is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Associated British Ports Holdings Ltd, which also owns Associated British Ports (ABP), the largest port operator in the UK.
The company was founded as a Government research station in 1950 to meet the needs of the British Transport Commission, later the British Transport Docks Board.
Since its inception ABPmer has specialised in managing and developing the marine environment in harmony with the natural system and processes therein.
Our knowledge and technical ability has been applied to offshore wind developments, harbour deepenings, coastal defence schemes, marina berths, waterside power stations and tidal lagoons as well as to assist decision makers in fisheries, marine aggregates and marine planning.
- 1948 Ports developed or acquired by the private railway companies are passed to the British Transport Commission on nationalisation
- 1950 Research and development arm established to support the needs of the Ports. Hydraulics laboratory centred in Southall, Hayes
- 1962 British Transport Docks Board (BTDB) formed a government-owned body to manage various ports throughout Great Britain formerly owned by the rail industry.
- 1981 The Transport Act 1981 provided for the BTDB's privatisation. BTDB's statutory powers as a harbour operator meant that a straightforward conversion to limited company status was impractical. Instead, BTDB was renamed as Associated British Ports (ABP) and a limited company, Associated British Ports Holdings Ltd, was created with the same powers in law over ABP as a holding company has over a subsidiary.
- 1982 ABP becomes a public limited company quoted on the London Stock Exchange.
- 1985 ABP Research and Consultancy Ltd created.
- 1992 Relocation of hydraulics laboratory to ABP Southampton.
- 2002 Company re-brands as ABP Marine Environmental Research Ltd (ABPmer) to better reflect its core services.
- 2005 Relocation of facilities to Town Quay, Southampton.
- 2006 ABP is acquired by Admiral Acquisitions and, in August of that year, the company is de-listed from the London Stock Exchange. ABPmer remains a wholly owned subsidiary of ABP Holdings Limited.
- 2010 ABPmer celebrates its 60th anniversary of providing services to the marine sector.
- 2012 Relocation to Quayside Suite, Medina Chambers, Town Quay to enable ongoing growth